The court proceedings involved in a bankruptcy case are very confusing and not to mention highly diversified. If a person is filing for bankruptcy, then he/ she will need to deal with paperwork to provide proof about finances, the debt owed to creditors, and other documentation such as the court papers. All these documents and court related work can be very overwhelming to handle to a non-legal person especially when he/ she has declared bankruptcy. During such critical economic times, it is advisable for a person or company to hire a bankruptcy lawyer who will handle their case with efficiency.
A bankruptcy attorney will not only take care of the legal paperwork but he/ she will represent your case in the court as well. Advice related to the court proceedings given by an expert lawyer will turn out to be very useful in such a case. The lawyer will strive for debt relief if he/ she is representing the debtor. On the other hand, if the client is the creditor then the attorney will try to get the client the money that is due. Here are certain ways in which a bankruptcy lawyer will be helpful to your case:
- Free consultation at the time of hiring: Usually lawyers offer free consultation before the actual hiring process. A bankruptcy case needs certain expert advise so as to make the correct decision related to court proceedings. During the free consultation, a reputed lawyer will also review the paperwork of the potential client to check his/ her records and determine whether declaring a legal state of bankruptcy is the only option left. It is important to take such an advise from the lawyer because it will confirm your decision and you will get a direction to move to.
- Handling all the paperwork related to your case: A lawyer usually works with para-legal subordinates who handle the paperwork for a case. As mentioned earlier, a bankruptcy case involves lot of legal as well as financial records to be set straight in order to be presented in the courtroom to file the case as well as during the actual trial. An attorney will check out these records and utilize them to prepare for your bankruptcy appeal and case.
- Representing the client in the courtroom: A courtroom trial is the process which will decide the fate of any case. If you hire an expert and experienced bankruptcy lawyer to fight for you, he/ she will handle the case and represent you during the trial. Lawyers are prepared for questioning and counter-questioning the opposite party in such a way that their client should come out looking as right. Such skills can be seen only in a qualified attorney, and thus it is very important to hire one for your bankruptcy case.
- Negotiation with the creditors for ‘out of the judge’ settlement: Many times it so happens that both the debtor as well as the creditor is not looking for a long, dragging court case. Instead, if both the parties are ready for an ‘out of judge’ settlement, then the lawyer can act as a mediator for both the parties and negotiate in order to have them both agree upon a settlement. This will save time as well as money of both the creditor and the debtor.
- Good legal advise throughout the case: Right from the beginning to the end of the case, you will get good legal advise from your bankruptcy attorney regarding your case. Based on the direction in which the courtroom proceeding is going, you will need to change your strategy. These strategies will be designed and conveyed to you by your lawyer. Hiring a lawyer will never leave you direction-less in a bankruptcy case. With assistance from para-legals and pro bono lawyers, your case will be prepared well by the attorney.
All these reasons point towards the fact that a bankruptcy attorney will help you greatly in not just filing the case, but for preparation of the case, and for the actual courtroom trial as well. You will be released of any type of mental stress and pressure related to the documentation and records related to the bankruptcy case.