Before giving the definition of assault lawyer let us first explain the meaning of assault
What is assault?
Assault is a criminal act of violence used against another individual. In United States of America assault refers to an act that causes another person to capture an immediate harmful contact.
Thus assault is defined as an act that not only includes violence but also refers to an intentional physical contact with another individual without their consent. In some jurisdictions of the states within the USA assault refers to the threat of inflicting violence caused due to an immediate show of force.
Assault is generally classified into two categories. They are criminal assault and civil assault. Criminal assault includes criminal acts like robbery, acts of sexual violence, child molestation, sexual harassment or sexual abuses while civil assault includes civil acts of domestic violence. Assaults like domestic violence, child molestation, sexual harassment as well as sexual abuses are nothing but the types of sexual assaults which are the part of criminal assaults committed on individuals.
Who is a lawyer dealing with the criminal or civil assault law cases?
A lawyer handling the assault law cases is a lawyer who represents the individuals who are the victims of criminal or civil assaults or the people accused of committing criminal acts of violence.
Thus the lawyers dealing with the criminal or civil assault law suits are classified into two types.
One is a criminal defense lawyer defending an individual (or group of individuals) accused of causing the physical or mental or psychological assault (or harm)to another individual (or group of individuals) by handling the law suit of the accused in the court of law .The second type of lawyer is the personal injury lawyer representing the victim (or the client or a group of individuals ) who has suffered physical or psychological or emotional injuries as a result of the assault on him by another person or individual or a group of individuals.
Skills required by the lawyer handling criminal or civil assault law suits
- Lawyers filing the law suits having criminal or civil form must have good knowledge of criminal laws, civil laws, domestic violence laws
- Lawyers arguing the law suits that are of the criminal or civil type must also be well-versed in the sexual harassment laws that includes laws of molestation of children as well as laws regarding sexual abuse and torture of children
- Lawyers carrying out the criminal or civil assault law cases in the law court must also be able to provide emotional support and impart proper counseling to the victims of physical or mental assault
- Lawyers handling the criminal or civil assault law suits must be able to assist the victims of the assault in filing restraining orders in the court of law
- Lawyers dealing with the criminal or civil assault legal suits must have good understanding of the client’s case
- Lawyers handling the criminal or civil assaults legal cases must have good ability of differentiating the facts from the allegations
Educational requirements of the lawyer handling the criminal or civil assault law suits
- Lawyers who are interested in doing practice of criminal or civil assault law suits in the court of law must achieve a four year graduate certification in any discipline from any state recognized university plus a three year degree certification in law from an approved law school
- An applicant must get a passing score on the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) in order to get an admission in a law school that is recognized by the American Bar Association
- Many states require law graduates to pass the state bar written exam plus written ethics exam so that the law degree holders could get a legal license to practice legal cases related with the criminal or civil assaults law suits in the court of law
- Most of the law academies require their students to do criminal legal internships before acquiring their law degrees
- Lawyers handling criminal or civil assault law cases must complete their legal continuing education courses throughout their career in order to maintain their licenses to practice the criminal or civil assaults law in the court of law
- Lawyers doing their four year graduation in mathematics , criminology, political science, criminal defense , psychology or post graduation in these subjects gets an added advantage over their colleagues while practicing the civil or criminal assault law suits in the bar at law
Duties of the lawyer handling the criminal or civil assault law suits at the bar of law
- Lawyers who handle the law suits and making arguments in favor of the victims of (criminal or civil)assaults or in favor of the defendants must set initial meetings to lend an ear to and document the happenings that are occurring during, before and after the criminal or civil assault
- Lawyers filing the criminal or civil assault law suits on behalf of the clients in the judiciary must acquire the reports filed after doing the investigation about the events that lead to the occurrence of the incident
- Lawyers dealing with the criminal or civil assault law suits must also get the detailed information about the events taking place at the time and place when the incident took place and the persons involved in such incidents after cross-examining and cross-checking the witnesses in the court
- Lawyers handling the criminal; and civil assault law suits must successfully represent the victims of the assaults and recover good amount of compensation from the offenders who have assaulted the clients of the lawyers
- Lawyers carrying out the criminal or civil assault law suits in the court of law must have good knowledge of personal injury laws ,criminal laws, personal insurance laws , civil laws and different kinds of litigation laws
- Lawyers dealing with the criminal or civil assault legal cases in the court of law must be able to do good investigation and perform indexing exhibits as well as meticulously prepare for the court hearings on the criminal or civil law suits of his/her clients in the court of law
Importance of lawyers handling the civil or criminal law suits in the bar of law
Today we find the growing cases of domestic violence as well cases of sexual harassment .So there is a growth in the demand for the lawyers handling the criminal or civil legal suits. Also the acts of robbery and stealing are growing day by day due to rise in unemployment and the deterioration in the economic statuses of the people of USA and decrease in the per capita income of many of the starts in USA due to current recession problems .So it has become an utmost necessity to hire the services of a good and efficient lawyer to deal with the criminal and civil assault law suits as this is a need of an hour.
Thus the vocation as an assaults lawyer is an ever growing, challenging and a demanding vocation highlighting nice future prospects and is a good source of income and making money.