What is meant by environmental law?
Before discussing the traits of the environmental lawyer let us first discuss that what we mean by the environmental law.
Environmental Law is a very intricate and intertwined body of agreements, conventions, regulations, statutes and is a common law that broadly operates in order to regulate the relations between human beings and the rest of the natural or the biophysical environment. The purpose of the environmental law is to reduce the impact of human activities both on the human being as well as the natural environment. Environmental laws dealing with the issues and problems of pollution are enacted to minimize and control the emissions of pollutants in air, water and soil. Also the environmental laws that are related with the resource conservation and management focus on the issues of natural resources like mineral deposits and forests. The environmental laws also deal with the issue that raise the concern over depletion and deterioration of the intangible resources like areas or sites of high archaeological value over the period and strives for their maintenance.
Who is the lawyer who deals with the environmental law suits?
Lawyer handling the environmental law suits deals over the issues that are related with the environment in order to protect the land and stop the pollution. These types of lawyers generally work in a team and uphold the federal statues in order to protect the environment. Lawyers dealing with the environmental law cases provide a preconceived free and equal representation for the people and the firms that are directly related and affected by the health of environment.
Skills required by the lawyer handling the environmental law suits
- Lawyers handling the environmental law suits must have a good ability in handling the complicated legal procedures that addresses the environmental issues
- Lawyers dealing with the environmental law suits must be able to represent a different group of clients in various civil litigation suits
- Lawyers handling the environmental issues must be able to interview the witnesses before the court trials and the court hearings and then draft the legal cases that promotes the issues that are related with the environmental protection
- Lawyers dealing with the environmental issues must be able to act as both the legal advocates as well as the legal advisors in order to solve the environmental problems and protect its natural resources
- Lawyers handling the environmental law suits must be able to do a thorough research on the legal issues that are related to the violation of the environmental rules and regulations
- Lawyers dealing with the environmental legal matters must have good ability in drafting the regulatory applications
Educational qualifications that are required by the lawyer who want to practice environmental law in the court of law
- It is compulsory to get a four year graduation in any discipline from any government recognized institute as it is prerequisite for applying for an admission to the law college recognized by the American Bar Association
- It is compulsory to appear for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) in order to get admission to a law college or a law university that is recognized by the American bar Association
- After completing three years of graduation in law, the law graduate is required to pass the written state bar examinations that are monitored by the bar association of the state in which the lawyer wish to practice. State Bar Examinations include the multi state bar examination , a written ethics examination and a multistate essay examination
- After clearing the state bar examinations the law graduate gets a membership of the respective state bar association of the state from where the law graduate had acquired his/her law degree and a license to practice law in the law court of any state
- If the law graduate specializes in the subjects like environmental laws and the litigation laws related with the environmental problems like air pollution, water contamination, chemical and nuclear wastes, it adds to the law graduate’s advantage when he/she practices environmental law at the bar at law
Job responsibilities of the lawyer handling the environmental matters
- Lawyers handling the environmental law suits conduct legal procedures that are based on the environmental policies of the concerned states
- Lawyers handling the environmental law suits represents the clients on the wide range of issues like land use concern, waste disposal, resource extraction,transpoertation, agricultural issues and wilderness preservation
- Lawyers dealing with the environmental law suits do client counseling on the environmental issues
- Lawyers handling the environmental law cases represent the clients in the court of law and argue the cases related with the environmental concerns or the cases that address the legal issues pertaining to breach of the environmental laws for the clients
- Lawyers dealing with the environmental problems advice the clients and the general public over the waste management laws, pollution rights natural resource conservation and thus help the state, national as well as the international organizations in efforts to preserve the natural resources from getting depleted and protect the environment from the green house effect
- Lawyers dealing with the environmental issues give a meticulous advice on the environmental management systems to their clients
Future Prospects of the Lawyer addressing the legal concerns and the legal issues that are related to the environmental decay and deterioration
Environmental issues like greenhouse effects, depletion of ozone layer, global warming, water pollution and spread of the dreadful diseases are on rise due to the increase in the environmental pollution. Also many number of law suits are filed against the chemical industries, gas industries and coal industries of developing as well as developed industries in the international court of law as these industries dispose their wastes in the rivers, oceans and places which not only pollutes the water but also threats the aquatic life which in turn may imbalance the nitrogen cycle of the earth. Large Scale destruction of the trees of the forests and killing of the animals by the poachers as well as illegal sale of the wood of trees and skin and bones of the animals for sake of making money disturbs the natural balance. This in turn disturbs the seasonal cycle which directly affects the harvest and the sanitation. This in turn badly affects the human health, human living and the human habitat.
Thus the lawyers handling the environmental law suits try to prevent the environmental pollution by the strict implementation of the environmental legislation by proper legal means. These lawyers see to it that these rules and regulations are strictly kept in practice by the industrialists. Thus the lawyers handling the law suits that are related with the environmental issues are in great demand these days.
Finally one can conclude that the career as an environmental lawyer is a fast growing and an enriching career.