What do you mean by a patient lawyer?
A lawyer handling the legal suits related with the legal issues of the patient is a responsible person representing the clients who were the victims of the medical malpractice or medical negligence and had suffered from the ill effects of medical malpractice and medical negligence.
Usually the patients suffer in different ways from negligence in the medical care provided at the hospitals by the hospital authorities as well as improper medical facilities given to the patients in the hospitals. Medical negligence also includes the carelessness of the medical staff while carrying out their daily work and malfunctioning or dysfunctioning of the medical equipments at the hospitals.
Skills required by the lawyer who wants to practice law suits related with the legal matters of the patients
- Lawyers who are eager to deal with the law suits related with the medical malpractice issues or medical negligence issues faced by the patients must possess time management skills
- Lawyers who are interested in handling the law suits related with the patient issues must be able to interact with their clients in a polite and humble manner
- Lawyers who are keen to do the practice of the law suits concerned with the issues of medical malpractice or negligence of the patients must have good knowledge of medical malpractice laws and personal injury laws
- Lawyers who are interested in handling the law suits concerned with the legal matters of patients must have good oratory skills, project management skills, people management skills and financial literacy
Educational requirements of the lawyer who is interested in handling the legal suits related with the client (patient) issues of medical negligence and medical malpractice
- Individuals who are keen to practice law suits related with the medical negligence or medical malpractice problems faced by the clients (who are the patients) are required to clear four year graduation from any stream from a state recognized institute plus a three year bachelor degree in law from a law college (of that respective state) recognized by the American Bar Association
- A degree holder is required to clear the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) with a minimum grade point average passing score in order to get admitted to a law school recognized by the American Bar Association
- It is a prerequisite requirement for a law graduate to clear the state bar written exam as well as the written ethics exam so that a pass out in the field of law would get license to practice law suits that are related with the medical malpractice or medical negligence issues of the client in the judiciary of that state
- Most of the law academies require their law students to acquire the certificates in legal clerkships from the professionally reputed law firms by completing the legal clerkships from these law firms before acquiring their legal degrees
- It is a moral responsibility of the lawyer who is interested in handling the law suits concerning the client cases of medical malpractice and medical negligence to clear the necessary number of continuing legal education (CLE) courses in order to remain consistently updated about the constant changes taking place in the various fields of law
Duties of the lawyer who wants to deal with the legal cases of the clients who are victims of the medical malpractice and medical negligence in the judiciary
- Lawyers who want to argue the law suits related with the client’s issues regarding the medical negligence or malpractice must provide legal advice to the clients about their legal right to receive proper medical treatment from the medical hospitals
- Lawyers who are interested in practicing the law suits related with the matters of medical negligence and medical malpractice of the clients must be able to negotiate monetary compensation for their clients out of the courtyard with the hospital authorities
- Lawyers who are keen to handle the law cases related with the medical malpractice or negligence issues faced by the clients must have ability to bring a compromise between the client and the hospital authorities and thus raise a curtain on the ongoing disputes between them
- Lawyers who are eager to deal with the law suits related to the client issues regarding medical negligence or malpractice by the medical staff must be well-versed in the medical terms of the diseases or illness occurring due to the negligence by the medical staff of the hospital
Importance of the lawyer who deal with the law suits related with the legal issues of the patients who are the victims of medical malpractice and medical negligence
There is an increase in the demand for the lawyers dealing with the law suits related with the client issues of medical malpractice and medical negligence. Today there is an increase in the occurrence of the cases of medical malpractice and medical negligence and so to hire the services of the lawyer dealing in the law suits related with victims’ cases of medical negligence or medical malpractice has become a need of an hour.
Also in spite of paying heavy medical charges for availing best hospital facilities from the medical staff of the hospital , patients do not receive proper medical treatment and facility from either the medical staff or the doctors under whose surveillance and observation the patients are kept. Due to such negligence by the doctors and the medical staff the patients have to suffer a great mental anguish as well as pain and sometimes these patients even have to face the fatal consequences of death if timely medical care of the patients and timely medical treatment is not given to the patients during the period of emergency. Under such situations the client or their families by hiring the legal services of the lawyers are able to sue the medical staff and the doctors (under whom the patient is taking his/her medical treatment) for the compensation and the damages .Also the victims of the medical malpractice or medical negligence are able to sue the doctors and medical staff so that the medical staff as well as the doctors would receive a capital punishment or have to pay a heavy fine and this would turn out to be a lesson for other doctors to avoid such practices of medical negligence and medical malpractice in future.
Thus the career as a patient lawyer is a growing career with great future prospects.