What do you mean by a lawyer who carries out the trials in the court of law?
A trial lawyer is a responsible individual who represents the clients in both the civil and criminal litigation trials in the court of law. The lawyer handling the criminal litigation trial represents the defendant or the plaintiff or the accused in the court of law whereas the lawyer dealing with the civil litigation trial takes the side of an individual in a dispute where no criminal act is involved.
Precisely the lawyers dealing in the litigation trials in the court of law are the expert people who help in resolving the complicated civil or criminal law disputes in the state or federal courts of law. The lawyer representing the plaintiff in the criminal trial where the plaintiff is either the state or the federal government in also known by the name of a prosecutor while the lawyer representing the suspect or the defendant is known by the name of the criminal defense lawyer (who is the private lawyer dealing in criminal trials) or the public defender (who is appointed by the court of law).
How do the lawyers begin the trial in the court of law?
A trial commences with the opening statements from the lawyers of both the parties who describe that what they are going to justify, prove and explain in the court of law .The law attorneys then present the evidences before the court of law that they get after testifying the witnesses who are present in the court. The lawyers also may cross-question and do the cross-inquiry of the other party’s witnesses as well as can make absolutely perfect objections over the evidences, over witness testimony and over other legal court matters and legal issues concerning the trials carried out in the court of law by other party. After the evidences are presented by the lawyers of both the parties, the law attorneys may present the closing arguments in the court of law. Then the judge or the jury arrives at the judgment which is based on the evidences provided in the trial court by lawyers of both the parties.
After the judge has given his/her verdict the litigation process is over. However if the plaintiff or the defendant disagrees with the judgment, the party may file an appeal in a higher court or an appellate court of justice where the appellate lawyers review the trial court proceedings and determine if any errors were made while trying the legal case or not and may rectify the error by giving a different judgment then that passed by the trial court.
What are the educational requirements of the lawyer dealing with the legal trials in the court of law?
- It is mandatory to complete a four year graduation in any discipline from a government recognized university or institute in order to become eligible for applying for the admission to the law school recognized by the American Bar Association
- It is must to appear for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) in order to secure admission to a law college or a law university that is recognized by the American Bar Association
- After completing three years of graduation or a four-year juris doctor degree program in law ,the law graduate is required to clear the state bar exams in order get a license to practice law in the state court of the respective state in which the law graduate has acquired this/her law degree
- While practicising as a lawyer in the trial court of law it gives an added advantage to the lawyer over his/her colleagues if he /she specializes in the basic topics of law like civil procedure, torts, constitutional law, criminal law, law of contract and legal research either in the first year of law graduation or in the following years while doing the studying law as a law student
- Also practical experience gained by a law student during his/her student days through moot court competitions, legal clinics and during the practice trials adds to the advantage of law student when the law student practices law in the trial court of law
Skills required by a lawyer who practices law in the trial court of law
- Lawyers who want to practice law in the trial court of law must possess strong litigating skills as a lawyer
- Lawyers who want to handle criminal or civil suits in the trial court of law must possess excellent organizational,negotiating,presentation and self-managing skills
- Lawyers who want to handle the civil or criminal law cases in the trial court of law must have great capability and an adjusting and a compromising nature so that they could easily work with the colleagues,clients,subject matter experts, court personnel and the persons having diverse backgrounds
- Lawyers who deal with the civil trials in the court of law must have good ability to represent the clients who may be individuals and are the small business owners, citizen’s groups, government agents or the non-profit organizations
- Lawyers dealing in the civil trials in the court of law must have a good ability to prosecute or defend the clients in the disputes that involves personal injury, business transactions, professional malpractice,bankruptcy,product liability employment matters, landlord issues and issues of inheritance
Job Responsibilities of the lawyer practicing law in the trial court
- Lawyers who desire to be successful lawyers in the trial court of law must be able to assemble and assess the legal facts and proofs and must follow the specific trial court procedures for gathering the legal information
- Lawyers who want to handle the civil litigation or the criminal litigation suits in the court of law must review the pertinent legal documents about the cases like financial records, police reports, business contracts and the medical files
- Lawyers carrying out the criminal litigation activities must be able to critically examine the criminal procedures and the criminal scenes that portray an evidence for the decision or the verdict to be taken by the judge for the criminal act committed by the defendant or the accused in the criminal case
- Lawyers who are practicing law in the trial court of law must seek the legal guidance, legal assistance and legal advice from the subject matter experts who would assist the lawyers in understanding the issues and facts related with the topics of engineering, human resources,medicine,science and finance
- Lawyers who practice law in the trial courts of justice must make arrangement for making an affidavit to get a sworn statement from the plaintiff and the plaintiff’s witnesses
- Lawyers practicing law at the trial court of law negotiate settlements for their clients
- Lawyers who practice law at the trial courts of law attend the pretrial hearings and conferences and file pretrial motions
Finally one can conclude that the career as a trial lawyer is a growing career.